Donate to +972 Magazine today.
This past year delivered what felt like an endless onslaught of devastating news and political setbacks in Israel-Palestine. The Trump administration completely dropped the long-standing pretense that the U.S. is an honest broker. And with the unquestioning support of the White House, the Netanyahu government has pushed forward a dizzying number of policies and laws that set back the struggle for progress in ways that will dramatically change the landscape of the region for years to come.
The Jewish Nation-State Law cemented second-class status for Israel’s Palestinian-Arab citizens and stripped Arabic of its standing as an official language in Israel. A hard-fought victory to resolve the fate of African asylum seekers in Israel disappeared before our eyes when right-wing forces cried foul. The creeping annexation of the West Bank doubled in pace. Intelligence agencies took the ideological thought policing of Israel’s borders to new levels. Most devastating, the Israeli government ordered the army to respond to mass protest and civil disobedience in Gaza with what can only be described as a massacre.
We’ve got a lot of work to do — and we need your help to do it.
In the coming year we’re going to focus more on where we believe we can have the greatest impact:
- We’ll be reporting and publishing more stories that are being overlooked by the mainstream media.
- We’ll be exploring how the policies you read about in the news affect people on the ground — and what those communities are doing about it.
- We’ll be spending more time working with young journalists to develop their voices and ensure you’re hearing fresh, diverse, and critical perspectives that don’t make it into other media.
- We’re going to be sticking with the stories that matter, following issues like the ongoing Gaza crisis even when other journalists move on to the next big headline.
- And we’re going to resist letting right-wing and pro-occupation politicians set the agenda and drive the news cycle.
While other newsrooms are laying off journalists, cutting back their coverage, and becoming more reliant on corporate cash, +972 Magazine has been growing our team, diversifying our writers, and investing in the type of reporting and analysis we believe is sorely missing from the discourse on Israel-Palestine. As a nonprofit magazine, we’ve only been able to do this thanks to your support.
You, our readers, have shown time and again that +972 Magazine is a resource you value enough to invest in. We couldn’t do our work without your vote of confidence.
Join us as we step up to the challenges of this critical political moment. Make a donation today.